Larose Forest was initiated in 1928 when agronomist, Ferdinand Larose, undertook a conifer plantation on lands that were abandoned due to soil erosion. Today, the Larose Forest is owned and managed by the corporation of the United Counties of Prescott and Russell.
This pristine natural site is located approximately 50 kilometres east of Ottawa, just south of the village of Bourget and covers over 11,000 hectares. More than 18 million trees have been planted making it the second largest community forest in Ontario. It includes conifers, wetlands, mixed forest and is crisscrossed by the South Nation River, many smaller creeks and over 200 kilometres of roads and trails.
The Forest shelters a wide variety of wildlife from the small chickadee to the majestic moose. It also contains a beautiful variety of wild flowers and mushrooms, scattered throughout the area. There are numerous excellent places to relax and have a good time.
By visiting the Forest, you will have the opportunity to enjoy numerous popular outdoor activities year-round, ranging from hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, snow shoeing, cross-country skiing and much more. Please refer to the Winter Trails section to get more details on activities and parking locations.
To learn more about our trails’ status, follow-us on Facebook!