The Macdonell-Williamson House, known as “Poplar Villa” or “Scotus” was built by John Macdonell on his retirement circa 1817. It is located in Ontario on the Ottawa River adjacent to the village of Pointe-Fortune, at the border between Ontario and Quebec (Upper Canada and Lower Canada). The house was acquired in 1978 by the Ontario Heritage Foundation in order to save it from demolition. Extensive architectural and archaeological investigations were carried out.
Today, Friends of the Macdonell-Williamson House Inc. is working to have the house become a cultural, historical and tourist centre, serving nearby counties and beyond.