The Percy Portage was an important route used for centuries by the Hurons, Iroquois and Mississaugas. It also formed the basis of the first road in the region in the early 19th century for settlers and those heading north.
The Ojibwa name for the Trent River, “Sagetewedgewam”, means “river hard to travel”. This carrying place which began near this location allowed travellers to avoid the rapids and waterfalls on the Trent River between present day Meyersburg and the Village of Hastings.
It is possible that Samuel de Champlain used this portage in September 1615 when he travelled south with his Huron and Algonquin allies to engage with the Iroquois in upstate New York.
Erected in 2015 by the Municipality of Trent Hills, the Hastings Historical Society, Alderville First Nation and the family of E.Lyle Brown QC.