Sturgeon River House was established in order to promote and preserve the cultural and natural heritage of the population of the municipality of West Nipissing.
Our mandate: To depict the era of the fur trade from 1623 – 1879 and portray pioneer life in West Nipissing between 1978 – 1939. To promote the establishment of a local historical society in order to stimulate interest in heritage matters; To describe the cultural contributions of our three pioneering groups: the Native People, the French and the English.
Located on the site of the Hudson’s Bay Trading Post dating from 1848-1879, this local museum exhibits objects from the area’s pioneers, a trapper’s collection and other items from the late 19th century until the beginning of the 20th century.
Guided tours and a nature hiking trail are offered onsite.
Courtesy of West Nipissing Chamber of Commerce (Mathieu Seguin and MotionArc Studios)